Saturday, June 2, 2007

i'm missing out on nachos

it's 12:43 a.m. on what is now technically a sunday, and i am not at a bar. i am at my desk, in my tiny terrarium-office, and i am waiting for the press to run.

this has pretty much been the story of my last six months. luckily for all involved (including you, gentle reader), mama is about to get a brand new bag in the form of a brand new schedule. due to an ever-fluctuating staff (and my general awesomeness), i now get to design pretty lifestyle pages. this is good for a panoply of reasons -- who doesn't love pretty things, right? -- a major one of which is the upcoming schedule change. no longer will i toil crazy late hours. no longer will my weekend fall on sundays and mondays. no longer will my social life consist mainly of tivo and reading material! i'm beyond thrilled, as you can probably tell by the exclamation point. i am not a woman who toys idly with punctuation.

i also moved this past week (third time in a year. i'm beyond thrilled, so far beyond it that i somehow circled back to annoyance). mama and i worked on making the new digs cozy, and after a day's worth of paint and a couple trips to ikea, i think this is the beginning of a beautiful tenantship. it's a tiny basement apartment in a house in va-hi, and for the first time ever i live by myself. i worry about getting lonely, but hopefully kickball and volunteering and freelance will keep me plenty busy.

the bad side of moving all the damn time: mama is broke. (i've started to refer to myself in third person as 'mama' all the time. it's becoming a problem.) so no fun in the immediate future where money's concerned.

so while i may be broke and stuck at work on a perfectly lovely saturday night, every cloud has a silver lining. my silver lining at the moment is the summer kickball league.

1 comment:

gracefuleigh said...

Once you live by yourself, you'll never go back... that is, until you do.

I *love* living by myself- watching tv pantless, doing dishes whenever you DAMN well please, etc. There are drawbacks and it takes a month or so... but I started letter writing to combat the "down time".

My boyfriend and I just moved in together to a new place. Its the first time I've really LIVED lived with a guy (other than the occasional summers). I miss my alone living already- I certainly slept better...

But living alone teaches you alot about yourself. There is nothing to distract you from finding out the good and bad things about yourself. Just saying.